Walking Does a Body Good
How many times have we thought to ourselves that we want to do some type of exercise but don’t know where to start? Taking a walking seems like the first step, but does a simple walk really count as an exercise? The answer is YES. Not only is walking beneficial to your waistline, but it has also been proven to help increase your mood. Let’s discuss some of the benefits of taking a walk along with some simple do’s and don’ts.
- Helps trim down your waistline. Walking for 45 minutes at 3mph can burn almost 250 calories. While that may not sound like a lot, the calorie loss begins to add up if you walk 5 times a week.
- Studies have shown that regular walks help defend against heart attacks, stroke, high cholesterol and diabetes.
- It’s a great stress reliever. With today’s fast paced world, we need to find ways to help lower our stress levels. Studies have shown walking helps your mood and can even lower your anxiety levels.
- Walking also helps you sleep better at night. This leads an individual to have more energy throughout the day; who wouldn’t like more energy?
- Saves you money. Not only will walking save you money on possible medical bills, but it will save you money from joining a gym.
Some basic dos and don’ts for walking:
- Do wear comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Do some light stretching before and after your walk.
- Do walk on flat surfaces; this will help reduce strain on foot and leg.
- Do bring water with you; staying hydrated is key to avoid cramping.
- Don’t walk at night without proper reflective attire.
- Do wear sunscreen if walking during the day.
- Don’t listen to music too loud; you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
So the next time someone tells you to take a walk, tell them that’s a great idea and ask them to join you!!